B.A., Physics, Columbia University (1972); M.S., Physics, Stanford University (1976); Ph.D., Physics (W.A. Little, advisor), Stanford University (1978)
Professional Positions: 1978-1979 -- Post-doc, U. Southern California (with N.P. Ong); 1980-1985 -- Assistant Professor, UK; 1985-1989 -- Associate Professor, UK; 1989-present -- Professor, UK (Chair, 2001-2005; DGS, 2007-2011)
Awards and Honors: UK University Research Professor 1994-1995; American Physical Society Fellow, 2004; American Physical Society Outstanding Referee, 2010; College of Arts and Sciences Award for Graduate Student Mentoring, 2015
Our group has developed probes to study the properties of very small crystals of interesting materials. Experiments include electro-optic measurements of organic semiconductors and charge-density-wave materials using infrared diode lasers, thermal measurements (specific heat and thermal conductivity) using ac techniques, and electromechanical measurements of charge-density-wave materials using RF techniques. Our current research on organic semiconductors is in collaboration with the groups of UK Chemistry Professors John Anthony and Ken Graham. Our major current focus is on understanding the extremely large interlayer thermal conductivities exhibited by many molecular crystals prepared in Prof. Anthony's group; this work includes inelastic x-ray scattering measurements at Argonne National Lab.
Recent Graduates: Emily Bittle (Ph.D. 2013, now at NIST), Hao Zhang (Ph.D. 2015, now at Alliance Fiber Optics Division of Corning Glass).
Current Graduate Students: Yulong Yao, Maryam Shahi, Askan Abtahi (with Prof. Graham).
Here are some pictures from Summer 2015: http://www.pa.uky.edu/~brill/summer2015.pdf
Here is the Condensed Matter Group webpage: http://www.pa.uky.edu/condmat/
Brill Group Publications (2007-2016)
- “Anomalous itinerant magnetism in single-crystal Sr4Ru3O10: A thermodynamic and transport investigation”, G. Cao, S. Chikara, J.W. Brill, and P. Schlottmann, Phys. Rev. B 75, 024429 (2007).
- “Specific Heat of (CaxSr1-x)2Ru3O7 Single Crystals”, V. Varadarajan, S. Chikara, V. Durairaj, X.N. Lin, G. Cao, and J.W. Brill, Solid State Commun., 141, 402 (2007).
- “Charge Order Superstructure with Integer Iron Valence in Fe2OBO3”, M. Angst, P. Khalifah, R.P. Hermann, H.J. Xiang, M.-H. Whangbo, V. Varadarajan, J.W. Brill, B.C. Sales, and D. Mandrus, Phys. Rev. Lett. 99. 086403 (2007).
- “Electro-Optic Search for Critical Divergence of the Charge-Density-Wave Diffusion Constant at the Onset of Depinning”, L. Ladino, E.G. Bittle, M. Uddin, and J.W. Brill, Phys. Rev. B 76, 153104 (2007).
- “Frequency domain simulations of charge-density-wave strains: Comparison with electro-optic measurements”, L. Ladino and J.W. Brill, Solid State Commun. 145, 469 (2008).
- “Phase transitions in LaFeAsO: structural, magnetic, elastic, and transport properties, heat capacity and Mössbauer spectra”, M.A. McGuire, A.D. Christenson, A.S. Sefat, B.C. Sales, M.D. Lumsden, R. Jin, E.A. Payzant, D. Mandrus, Y. Luan, V. Keppens, V. Varadarajan, J.W. Brill, R.P. Hermann, M.T. Sougrati, F. Grandjean, and G. J. Long, Phys. Rev. B 78, 094157 (2008).
- “Characterization of the torsional piezoelectric-like response of tantalum trisulfide associated with charge-density-wave depinning”, J. Nichols, D. Dominko, L. Ladino, J. Zhou, and J.W. Brill, Phys. Rev. B 79, 241110(R), (2009); 80, 039903(E) (2009).
- “Electro-optic search for threshold divergence of the CDW diffusion constant in blue bronze”, L. Ladino and J.W. Brill, Physica B: Physics of Condensed Matter, 404, 422 (2009).
- “Dynamics of the hysteretic voltage-induced torsional strain in tantalum trisulfide”, J. Nichols, C. Sandamali Weearasooriya, and J.W. Brill, J. Physics: Condens. Matt. 2, 334224 (2010).
- “Electro-optic measurement of carrier mobility in an organic thin-film transistor”, E.G. Bittle, J.W. Brill, and J.E. Anthony, App. Phys. Lett. 97, 0133302 (2010).
- “Torque and temperature dependence of the hysteretic voltage-induced torsional strain in tantalum trisulfide”, H. Zhang, J. Nichols, and J.W. Brill, Phys. Rev. B 84, 125134 (2011).
- “Electromechanical response of sliding charge-density-waves: Voltage-induced torsional strain in tantalum trisulfide”, J.W. Brill, H. Zhang, and J. Nichols, Physica B: Physics of Condensed Matter 407, 1737 (2012).
- “Dynamics of Charge Flow in the Channel of a Thin-Film Field-Effect Transistor”, E.G. Bittle, J.W. Brill, and J.P. Straley, J. Appl. Phys. 112, 094507 (2012).
- "Dynamic Infrared Electro-Optic Response of Soluble Organic Semiconductors in Thin Film Transistors", E.G. Bittle, J.W. Brill, and J.P. Straley, MRS Online Proceedings Library, 1501, 06 (2013).
- “Tuning electronic structures via epitaxial strain in Sr2IrO4 thin films”, J. Nichols, J. Terzic, E.G. Bittle, O.B. Korneta, L.E. DeLong, J.W. Brill, G. Cao, and S.S.A. Seo, App. Phys. Lett. 102, 141908 (2013).
- "Interlayer thermal conductivity of rubrene measured by ac-calorimetry", H. Zhang and J.W. Brill, J. Appl. Phys. 114, 043508 (2013).
- "Anisotropic electronic properties of a-axis-oriented Sr2IrO4 epitaxial thin films", J. Nichols, O.B. Korneta, J. Terzic, L.E. DeLong, G. Cao, J.W. Brill, and S.S.A. Seo, Appl. Phys. Lett. 103, 131910 (2013).
- “Epitaxial Ba2IrO4 thin-films grown on SrTiO3 substrates by pulsed laser deposition”, J. Nichols, O.B. Korneta, J. Terzic, G. Cao, J.W. Brill, and S.S.A. Seo, Appl. Phys. Lett. 104, 121913 (2014).
- "Thermal diffusivities of functionalized pentacenes", H. Zhang, Y. Yao, Marcia M. Payne, J.E. Anthony, and J.W. Brill, Appl. Phys. Lett. 105, 073302 (2014).
- "Compressive strain-induced metal-insulator transition in orthorhombic SrIrO3 thin films", J.H. Gruenewald, J. Nichols, J. Terzic, G. Cao, J.W. Brill, and S.S.A. Seo, J. Mat. Res. 29, 2491 (2014).
- "An Organic Mixed Ion-Electron Conductor for Power Electronics", Abdellah Malti, Jesper Edberg, Hjalmar Granberg, Zia Ullah Khan, Jens. W. Andreasen, Xianjie Liu, Dan Zhao, Hao Zhang, Yulong Yao, Joseph W. Brill, Isak Engquist, Mats Fahlman, Lars Wagberg, Xavier Crispin, and Magnus Berggren, Advanced Science, 2015, 201500305 (2015).
- "Frequency-dependent photothermal measurements of transverse thermal diffusivity of organic semiconductors", J.W. Brill, Maryam Shahi, Marcia M. Payne, Jesper Edberg, Y. Yao, Xavier Crispin, and J.E. Anthony, Jnl. Appl. Phys. 118, 235501 (2015).
- "Investigations of metastable Ca2IrO4 epitaxial thin-films: systematic comparison with Sr2IrO4 and Ba2IrO4", M. Souri, J.H. Gruenwald, J. Terzic, J.W. Brill, G. Cao, and S.S.A. Seo, Scientific Reports 6, 25967 (2016).
- "Thermal Resistances of Thin Films of Small Molecule Organic Semiconductors", Y. Yao, Maryam Shahi, Marcia M. Payne, J.E. Anthony, and J.W. Brill, J. Mat. Chem. C 4, 8817 (2016).
- "Engineering One-Dimensional Quantum Stripes from Superlattices of Two-Dimensional Layered Materials", J.H. Gruenwald, J. Kim, H.S. Kim, J.M. Johnson, J. Hwang, M. Souri, J. Terzic, S.H. Chang, A.H. Said, J.W. Brill, G. Cao, H.Y. Kee, and S.S.A. Seo, Advanced Materials 29, 1603798 (2017).
Some of my publications are located here.