B.A., Physics, Harvard College (1964)
Ph. D., Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics, Cornell University (1970)
Condensed Matter Theory
My expertise is in the area of critical phenomena. My usual tools are simulations, renormalization methods, and series expansions, but I also like analytic methods. Specific areas include the electrical behavior of extremely inhomogeneous systems (the percolation problem), the phase diagram and dynamical behavior of a Josephson array in a magnetic field, one-dimensional many-body quantum systems, and phase transitions of the Kosterlitz-Thouless class. In recent years I have been interested in the Casimir effect.
- Physics Spectacular presenter
- Curator of the Physics Petting Zoo
- Co-director of the Hands-On Virtual Workshops in Physics For Elementary and Middle School Teachers
- The Physics Questionboard
- Lab-Aids, Inc. is marketing science kits that I have helped develop
- Instructor Online Physics Courses for middle school and high school teachers
- E. B. Kolomeisky, J. Colen, and J. P. Straley, "Negative group velocity and Kelvin-like wake pattern," Physical Review B 105 054509 (2022)
- J. P. Straley and C. B. Crawford, "Improved prescription for winding and electromagnet," Review of Scientific Instruments 92 124707 (2021).
- E. B. Kolomeisky and J. P. Straley, "Screening and plasma oscillations in an electron gas in the hydrodynamic approximation," Phys. Rev. B 96, 165116 (2017).
J. P. Straley and E. B. Kolomeisky, "Casimir interaction of arbitrarily shaped conductors," J. Phys.: Cond. Mat. 29 (2017) [ https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-648X/aa5ddb ]
E. B. Kolomeisky and J. P. Straley, "Relaxation of charge in monolayer graphene: Fast nonlinear diffusion versus Coulomb effects," Phys. Revl B 95 045415 (2017)
E. B. Kolomeisky and J. P. Straley, "Anomalous screening in two-dimensional materials with an extremum ring in the dispersion law," Phys. Rev. B 94 245150 (2016)
E. B. Kolomeisky, J. P. Straley, and D. Abrams, "Space charge and screening in bilayer graphene, J. Phys. Condensed Matter 28, 48LT01 (2016)
J. P. Straley and E. B. Kolomeisky, "Casimir energy of smooth compact surfaces," Phys. Rev. A 90 012514 (2014).
E. B. Kolomeisky, H. Zaidi, and J. P. Straley, "Fermion space charge in narrow band-gap semiconductors, Weyl semimetals, and around highly charged nuclei." Phys. Rev. B 88, 165428 (2013)
E. B. Kolomeisky, H, Zaidi, L. Langsjoen, J. P. Straley, "Weyl problem and Casimir effects in spherical shell geometry," Phys. Rev. A 87 042519 (2013)
J. P. Straley, G. A. White, and E. B. Kolomeisky, "Casimir energy of a Cylindrical Shell of Elliptical Cross Section," Phys. Rev. A 87, 022503 (2013)
E. G. Bittle, J. W. Brill, and J. P. Straley, "Dynamics of Charge Flow in the Channel of a Thin-FIlm Field-Effect Transistor," J. Appl. Phys. 112 094507 (2012)
E B Kolomeisky, H Zaidi, and J P Straley, "Interplay of Aharonov-Bohm, chirality, and aspect-ratio effects in the axial conductance of a nanotube," Phys. Rev. B 85, 073404 (2012)
A. Valizadeh, M. R. Kolahchi, and J. P. Straley, “A single phase slip site can synchronize a parallel array of linearly coupled Josephson Junctions” Phys. Rev. B 82, 144520 (2010)
E B Kolomeisky, J P Straley, L S Langsjoen and H Zaidi, "Casimir effect due to a single boundary as a manifestation of the Weyl problem,” J. Phys. A 43 38 (2010).
T. Bradshaw, J. Cunningham, K. Bradley, S. Shafer, J. Straley and J. Osborn, “Impact of materials on rural middle school students’ understanding of science concepts” FASEB Journal 23 633.15 (2009)
- R. M. Krall, J. Straley, S. A. Shafer, J. Osborn, “Hands-on at a Distance: Evaluation of a Temperature and Heat Distance Education Course,” Journal of Science Education and Technology 12 173 (2009)
- A. Valizadeh, M. R. Kolahchi, and J. P. Straley, “Dynamics of coupled Josephson junctions in an asymmetric triangular single plaquette”, Iranian J. Phys., 9 113 (2009).
- J. P. Straley and E. B. Kolomeisky, "Interacting bosons in a nearly resonant potential well," Phys. Rev. A 75, 063421 (2007).
- M. C. Bottorff, G. J. Ferland, and J. P. Straley, Two-photon transitions and continuous emission from hydrogenic species," Pub. Astr. Soc. Pacific 118, 1176 (2006)
- E. B. Kolomeisky, J. P. Straley, and R. Kalas, "Ground-state properties of artificial bosonic atoms, Bose interaction blockade, and the single-atom pipette," Phys. Rev. A 69, 063401 (2004)
- M. R. Kolahchi and J. P. Straley, "Ground states of a frustrated kagome' array of Josephson junctions," Phys. Rev. B 66, 144502 (2002)
- I. Res and J. P. Straley, "Order parameter for two-dimensional critical systems with boundaries," Phys. Rev. B 61, 14425 (2000).